Wednesday, August 11, 2010

One of the few...

Today I am posting about something that, for unknown reasons, is very dear to my heart.

First, I want to let you all know that I am NOT a huge fan of Christian romance books. They = super predictable. I'm not even a small fan of Christian romance. Heck, I'm not a fan of just normal romance books. Romance books in general just don't float my boat. There's just so many other wonderful genres of writing available! Sorry, Clarissa :)

But today's post is about one of the few Christian romances that I love, love, love.

Except it's not actually a book, kind of.
It's a TV show...kind of.

It's both.
Christy, the TV series, is based on the novel of the same name by Catherine Marshall. I happen to like the TV show better than the book, but the book is good, too, if you are looking for some fluffy Christian romance book to give your mind a rest after reading something heavy.

There are 19 episodes, all about 45 minutes long. If you're looking for something fun to watch as a family during the winter and you're sick of Andy Griffith (not that I'm dissing Andy Griffith...) I highly recommend this series.

The story centers around Christy Huddleston, a 19-year-old city girl who volunteers to be a teacher at a backwoods mission buried deep in the Great Smokies. I wish I could say more, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone who has a desire to watch it.

Fine. I'll say a little bit more...

You've heard of "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob," concerning the Twilight series? Well...

After watching Christy, Clarissa is completely "Team David Grantland"....

(This is Reverend David Grantland....lol)

While I am very adamantly "Team Dr. MacNeill"....

(This is Dr. Neil MacNeill. Don't laugh at his name. He's Scottish. And he has the accent. And he wears a kilt in one episode. And he's middle aged....but I don't care.)

So, girls...if you watch/read Christy, and you are on one team or other, come discuss it with Clarissa and me. Because we like to argue about who is better...the preacher or the doctor :)

Note: You should probably read the book before watching the show, although be aware that there are lots of differences. LOTS. Like, some people that may possibly die in the book don't die in the series, and some people that may end up getting married in the book don't in the series. But it's still really good. Just don't expect the series to be just like the book.

ANOTHER NOTE: If you are opposed to hokey "old" TV shows, be prepared, because while most of the series is just fine, it can get a little cheesy :)

Also, because it IS "Christian romance," there are a few moments that are, to be frank, romantic. So if you are opposed to that...be aware that there is some......romance...ick :/ lol

No comments: